- Consider taking your baby with you to the dentist as soon as their first teeth appear. It helps them get used to the sights and sounds.
- Start brushing your child’s teeth as soon as they come through.
- Sit them on your knee and use a smear of fluoride toothpaste on a baby toothbrush.
- Let your baby watch while you brush your teeth so they can see how it’s done.
- To help, stand behind them and gently tilt their head backwards. Look in the mirror so your child can see while you are brushing.
- Brush in small circles covering all surfaces of the teeth.
- Let your toddler spit the toothpaste out but don’t rinse with water.
- Try to get into a twice-daily brushing routine as they get older.
- Supervise brushing until your child is around 7-8 years old.
- Talk to your kid’s dentist about tips and advice on how to keep your child’s teeth clean and healthy.