Skip to main content
Taking baby out for the first time guide
Taking baby out for the first time can be daunting. This checklist should help make it easy for all your baby friendly days out. Whether it’s a walk in the park, or somewhere more far-flung.
Sep 22, 2020
- Packing a baby bag for changes and feeds is your first task.
- Pack quite a few diapers and wipes or cotton balls, for diaper changes.
- Pack some burping cloths for after feeding.
- Pack a change of outfit for baby in case of accidents.
- Pack a change of top for you, just in case. Nobody wants to walk around with baby puke on their shoulder.
- Pack some hand sanitizer or wet wipes for yourself.
- Pack a modesty cover, if you feel more comfortable, while getting the hang of breastfeeding out and about.
- Pack a water bottle for yourself, and remember to stay hydrated.
- Pack sterile bottles and teats if you’re bottle-feeding. A flask of boiling water to make powdered feeds is a good idea too.
- Pack a couple of pacifiers if your baby already uses them.
- Remember their blanket or swaddle.
- Wear comfortable clothes with easy access if you’re breastfeeding.
- Dress baby in weather-appropriate clothes. Layers are a good idea, in case the weather takes a turn.
- Bring your baby buggy if the destination is step-free.
- Bring a sling or carrier if you prefer skin-to-skin or if you’re going something with stairs or hills.
- Remember the rain cover for the baby buggy or an umbrella if you’re carrying baby.
- Try to keep baby out of the sun. Delicate skin is extra sensitive. Sunblock and sunhats can help, but shade is most important. A buggy parasol is a good idea.
- Pack a bright pram toy for stimulation.
- Try hanging rattles or toys from the sling or baby carrier on soother chains.
- Leave extra time for getting all your baby gear ready before leaving the house.
- Try to set off shortly after a feed so baby is happy to rest or look around.
- If you’re feeling lonely or isolated as a new mom, check out our ideas for things to do with baby that give something back to you.